Family picture taken 1 week after diagnoses

Family picture taken 1 week after diagnoses

Friday, October 1, 2010

Bible study and the ER

     Last Wednesday I posted on my Facebook staus "I love Wednesdays". I still do but maybe just not this one.   
      Bible study went well. I got a close parking space, Carter didn't cry when I took him to his class, Alton made it through the entire morning without me and Natalie was content as well. A perfect morning... Until Carter's caught his finger in a heavy, metal, self-closing door. Whoever thought self-closing doors was a good idea didn't have children.
   What a nightmare! I don't know how I held it together with all the blood and his screams of pain.  The sight of his mangled finger was horrible. It makes me sick just thinking about it. When I pulled it out of the door I knew we would be making a trip to the ER. I had Natalie in my arms so I started calling "help" and my dear friend Nicole happened to be coming out of the children's center just then and took Natalie. I wrapped Natalie's receiving blanket around Carter's hand to stop the blood that was literally shooting out of his nearly severed fingertip. All of a sudden there were several lady's around helping me and taking my children, calling my mom and husband, and driving us to the hospital. Dear friends and strangers (who are now dear friends as well). What would I have done if these precious people had not been around to help us.
    God was watching out for us. Starting that morning when I got my close parking spot. He knew I would need to get to my car quickly.
   I was able to get a hold of Lewis on the short ride to the hospital and he arrived with 30 minutes. Alton went with Nicole and Mom came and took over Natalie who had to come to the hospital with me since I am still nursing her. What a wild ride!
    We got into a bed immediately and soon saw a doctor. They brought Carter a blue bear that he named "jack". He gave the nurse a huge smile when she brought it to him and it hasn't left his side since.
   The x-rays showed a small fracture that they felt would not be a problem and sedated him to clean and stitch the finger. I had warned him that it was nearly severed which he confirmed after Carter was out. He referred us to a hand surgeon which we will see early next week.
    Carter's comment to Lewis when he arrived was, "I don't think I can be a farmer anymore, Dad". Daddy reassured him that he thought he could. :)
    Carter was amazing! I'm so proud of my sweet little boy.

Carter had such a forlorn look so I thought I would snap a picture of how pathetic he looked but when he saw the camara he gave me a big Carter smile. This was the temporary bandage triage put on for him.

Carter coming back to awareness with his new buddy, Jack. Auntie Angie had also brought his blankies and doggie that he loves to sleep with.





Natalie getting some snuggle time with Daddy

Home. Yay!

Tired after a BIG day!







   

 

5 comments:

  1. Oh no this is horrible, poor mama!!!!! I am so sorry for you, and Car Car too. But you had to deal with all that and your poor mama heart must have ached soooo :O(
    Praise God you were there and had all of those servants:O) Bless them.
    Oh man. This post had me balling!
    Keep me updated on surgery, so we can be praying for him and you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no!!! I called your mom today and she told me she was having a medical issue with her "grandson"! I didn't want to pry, so I didn't ask. But I knew it was either Carter, Alton, or Jaden!!!!! I'm so glad he is ok.

    Brandon has had a similar injury to his pinky in 8th grade and he still farms, so you can reassure Carter that his future goal is still achievable!!! :)

    We're praying for you Carter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, it makes me hurt just to look at him. Parenting can be painful! I am so sorry, Kerri. What a blessing to have so much help at hand when you needed it. I trust the finger is healing well and Carter is reconsidering his future as a farmer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OoooooohhhH! Kerri, I am so sorry for you and little Carter! I will have to be sure to show Felicity his pictures tomorrow. That is just as tough on a mom as it is a kid.
    We have not had that ER experience yet...and I am def not looking forward to it!
    Thought about calling you for your bday all day...sounds like it was probably quite busy! I love you...and happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Kerri! I am so sorry for Carter and you... how scary! I hope it heals quickly (we will add Carter to our prayers). Hope you had a nice birthday and de-stressed from the day before :) (((Hugs)))) to you.

    ReplyDelete